As the long weekend approaches in Canada, many people will be at the lakes for a spot of fishing, but in technology terms the word Phishing means something very different.
Phishing in technology terms is the sending out of emails, texts, voicemails and more. This is done by cyber criminals seeking out information like credit card numbers, bank account access, account information or gift card numbers.
What can you do to prevent a phishing scam?
There are many things you can do to prevent yourself from getting phished, these include:
- Being more careful when receiving new emails or texts or messages.
- Reporting and or deleting the content.
- Not falling for scam texts or emails that claim to be from popular brands or government departments.
- Never giving out personal information unless you have verified that it is safe to do so.
- Keeping updated on frequently circulated scam texts and emails.
So, now you know how to prevent online phishing its time to go outside and enjoy the long weekend if you can.